Monday, September 19, 2011

The Besto Pesto

I think I am in love with pesto. Not the conventional kind which is just basil, pinenuts, parmesan and olive oil. The kind I love is a radical experiment involving all kinds of greens. Chinese green pesto... Think about it, and contemplate the many amazing ways and ingredients you can add to your pesto. Here is a little bit I just sourced from wikipedia regarding the origins of pesto:

"Pesto (Italian pronunciation: [ˈpesto], Genoese[ˈpestu]) is a sauce originating in Genoa in the Liguria region of northern Italy (pesto alla genovese), and traditionally consists of crushed garlic, basil and pine nuts blended with olive oil and Parmigiano Reggiano e Fiore Sardo (pecorino sardo).[1] The name is the contracted past participle of the Genoese word pestâ (Italian: pestare), which means to pound, to crush, in reference to the original method of preparation, with marble mortar and wooden pestle. However, the ingredients in a traditionally made pesto are not "pounded" but "ground" with a circular motion of the pestle in the mortar. This same Latin root through Old French also gave rise to the English word pestle.



I know that basil is delicious but why let that limit your desire for alternatively delicious flavours in your cheese, nut and green dip. Plus pine nuts are expensive. I find a lot of store bought pestos add in parsley to bulk it up. This is just wrong. Not that I don't like parsley, I just find the flavours contrasting and the parsley tends to dominate. Anyway I just made an awesome spicy rocket, walnut and parmesan pesto which is currently rocking my world. Unfortunately I was unable to source any organic ingredients for this one. However it is still very delicious and nutritious. I like to eat pesto on toast with my poached eggs most mornings. If not pesto, usually an avocado concoction involving lime, chilli/tabasco, and either coriander or ground cumin. Delightful.

Happy dipping <3D!

No comments:

Post a Comment